Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 5: Nearly perfect Swiss Day

Research, Lunch run, Migros, Fondue, Swiss Alps, and Gelato social.

Research was great today. We used the 3D kinematics lab. I won't bore you with the details but we had reflective things on our feet like people would wear for video games and animation. We had a coffee/espresso break and then resumed working. At noon Heiner, Patric, a colleague of theirs, and I all went for a run in the forest. When we got back we had lunch. Then at 15:30 (3:30) Heiner gave a presentation of the lab in German to some students (bachelors and PhD) who were on a tour of the University. At the end of work, Heiner gave me a Bern bear cake and with a big smile said "Welcome to Bern!"
Thank you Heiner. I found out today him and his wife are expecting a baby in October.

When I got back to my studenthouse, I asked a friend to show me around Migros, which is a grocery store (the only one so far where I have seen peanut butter and there was only one brand and it is crunchy pb). I made a small dinner and then went up to the rooftop (floor 20) where my new friends had invited me for fondue (a common dish in Switzerland). The weather was much clearer today, sunny and warm. With the haze from the overcast evaporated I was able to see the white tops of the Swiss Alps for the first time. The first time I have ever seen mountains in my life. Stunning. After we talked for awhile, we headed over to the other studenthouse for a gelato (ice cream) social. There was chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry gelato, bananas, strawberries, cherries, hot fudge, sprinkles, whip cream, chocolate shavings, nuts, coconut, m&m's, waffle chips, cookies, and cobbler. All of the fixings. At the party, I met people with backgrounds from all over the world. To the day I say....

wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment