Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 20: Day 20? How has it already been that long

Back to Day 14....

Thursday night. 9:00pm.

Rome has a feel of its own at night. All of the lights give off a golden glow that allow you to appreciate the architecture even more. This was the first landmark we stumbled upon. Next to the fountains surrounding the monument, a musician played the harp, a quite pretty musician (I soon found out this was a reoccurring theme with Italian women...them being beautiful and all...not the ability to play the harp). We took the street to the right and passed some fancy restaurants before stopping at the first gelato shop we saw. Out of all the incredibly delicious looking flavors, I chose nutella. A1 choice for sure. We continued walking until we reached the Spanish Steps. I guess history says some important people from Spain walked on them or something.

Nonetheless, a cool hang out spot. We climbed to the top and ate a late dinner. At this point Rome was great, except Cody and I didn't know where we were staying for the night. This can be a bit of an issue. It was about 11:00pm. I thought the girls (who I met in Bern) had something set up for us. As I remember the plan was to either stay in a hostel, or at a friend's place. They ended up finding a place on a couchsurfing website. It's where you ask people if you can sleep on their couch for free. They asked the man who owned the apartment if we could also stay or if he knew anyone who would take us in for the night. His reply, "I really dunno." "Well...this will be interesting," I thought. We walked back towards the metro (subway station) because the girls wanted to catch it before it closed at midnight. It was now 11:30pm. We still didn't have a place. The girls needed to leave and presumed we could handle things on our own so they took off after handing us a map and wishing us well. Me: a 20 year old "Michigan" man. Of course, I got this. We sat down for a little bit at the fountains around the monument in the first picture (above). There were polizia close by so I went and asked them if they had any recommendations. Pointed us in direction of some hotels. We started walking down a street and stopped at the first hotel with a door man. 5 star and a picture of Eva Longoria on the wall. Thought about staying there but the mood just wasn't right. We asked the man at the desk where the cheap hotels were (in a much classier way though). He gave us another map, which I used for the entire weekend, and told us to head towards the train terminal. It was a good distance away. We looked at it as a night tour of the city. Positive thinking. We periodically checked the prices at hotels we passed. 180 euros, 150 euros, 130 euros. We got to the station and went down a side street where this gem just so happened to be nestled.
Hotel California. We asked the gentleman at the desk what the going rate was. "I have a double but I'll give you guys a deal and let you stay in the single for 90 euros." Cody and I exchanged looks. "We'll take it." Three star. Complimentary breakfast. Free wifi. And...
bidet. Too weird to actually use, however, still cool. The room had two beds. We flipped for the bigger one and I got it. The end. Day 15, 16 and 17 will have to wait until the next blog post.

Day 20 (today)
Work at the movement lab is going well. Coffee has become a daily beverage of choice. I really enjoy lunch when Heiner, Patric, and I all get to talk. Heiner tells stories of his time in the US. We compare differences between Switzerland and America. Talk about sports. Physiotherapy and the different projects that are happening at the lab. I finished all of my work in the morning so I didn't have to do anything in the afternoon. Two more cameras were installed in the afternoon anyways so I observed and talked more with Heiner and Patric. Once I got out of work, I headed to the pool where I was meeting some friends. 
Largest pool in Europe, so I have heard. Felt great taking a dip to cool down in the 90 degree weather. 
Here's a sign I pass going to and from the lab everyday. I don't know the translation.
 FRICK!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this! Your humorous descriptions really helped me to appreciate your experience.

    ReplyDelete