Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 21 & 22: Doing Work

The last two days have been relatively low key. Day 21.Yesterday, I went into work at 8:30am. Patric wasn't coming in to the lab for the day so I asked Heiner if he had anything he wanted me to do. He couldn't really think of anything for the time. I did some reading and looked at maps of Switzerland. Lunch rolled around, which I always enjoy. Heiner and I got to talking and he said I could use his bike for the weekend. Not much happened after lunch. Heiner said I could leave early. I love how the lab is organized. Everybody takes the time to talk to each other, which really keeps it relaxed. And on the other hand so much work gets done during the day. It really is the perfect balance. Its like how we go for a run on Tuesdays. The work environment is set up to keep stress levels down, which definitely allows everyone to work at a high level. I rode the bike to the gym.
Pretty sick ride. It has the old style shifting like my Peugeot. I ran on the trials in the woods, lifted, and finished off the day with some pre-finals basketball. I went to bed a little earlier than normal so I could wake up at 3:00am to watch game 7. The game got over at 6:00am. I set my alarm for 7:15 but must have shut it off because I didn't wake up until 11:00am today. Woooops. Day 22. Heiner went back to Germany, where he lives yesterday because he can work from home so he wasn't in the lab today. Patric was there though and he usually has work for me. I walked in the door at noon, quickly explained why I was late, and they were totally fine with it. I guess some of them had to go to a meeting so I would have been sitting around anyways. After Patric finished lunch, and I finished a big mug of coffee, he assigned me and Ursina some work. We had to use Excel to make box plots of each subjects (6 subjects) navicular drop, reference point, and minimum point for test day 1 and test day 2. It seemed overwhelming at the time, but with both of our minds working together, we powered through it. We are going to use the diagrams at our weekly meeting on Tuesday. I went to the gym again after work. I ran in the woods straight across the road from the sports institute. About a mile in I started hearing bagpipes. What? Bagpipes? Yes. In the forest? Yes. Was it one of the coolest moments of my life? Yes. The guy was just playing his bagpipes off the trail in a big clearing that had a teepee (also spelled tipi) made out of sticks. I did a big loop that went out towards the Aare River and then along it for awhile. I circled back and when I started getting close to the big clearing, the guy was still playing the bagpipes. The best run I have had since coming here. I went to Fellergut tonight. I was going to meet my friend there but then another one of my friends (a Frenchman) knocked on my door and asked if wanted to head over a little sooner. I didn't stay for long because I am going hiking tomorrow with a friend who lives on my floor. We're taking a train to Kandersteg (about an hour away) and then hiking to Kander Glacier. Elevation of about 2400m (7874.02ft). 
At the Bumpliz Nord train station. #SwissGod. It's actually an insurance ad. 

P.S. I will eventually get back to the Rome-Venice trip (Day 15, 16, 17). 

1 comment: