Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 4: First day in Movement Lab

I finally woke up at a normal time today. 8:30. I had to be at the Movement Lab to meet Heiner, my professor and head of the lab, at 10:30. I was to the train station at 9:30 where I had to get a libero (public transit pass). Here is a picture of it with my new Bern University student guest card.
After getting both of these today I am starting to feel like a part of the city. I arrived at the Movement Lab at 10:00. A half hour early. I forgot that ALL of the trains and trams here are exactly on time 100% of the time.  I am a true believer of the Swiss public transportation system now.

Meeting Heiner was great. He gave me a tour of the lab, which is state of the art. The lab is owned by an orthopaedic company in collaboration with the inselspital (university hospital), and Bern University of Applied Sciences which allows them to have the resources for EMGs, force plates everywhere, and a brand new 3D kinematics system. He then gave me a tour of the building, introducing me to all of his colleagues. All were extremely kind. Once the tour was over, he showed me my work station which I will be at when not working in the lab.
Then came lunch. After I had to do some reading. And then Heiner took me around to the other University buildings. He pointed out some restaurants where I found out pizza places serve burritos. They are not actually burritos because it is a food from Turkey so the spices are different but the concept is the same. I need to try one.

I ran into the trails again. I was lost for a bit but found my way out. I felt sore waking up this morning and once I check the pace of my run from yesterday, I realized why. I took it a little easier today (not too easy) and really enjoyed it. Heiner invited me to join him and some of his colleagues on a run tomorrow. We will go at lunch and jog over to the University Hospital to pick up a few more people and then head towards the hills. They say they go for an hour run together every Tuesday. Something very cool that a lot of work places should start up. Should I take the pace out hot? Ain't one for chicken shit

No comments:

Post a Comment