Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 60, 61, 62: I'm going to miss you Switzerland

Monday...

Started the day at the lab with some testing. We did the 4 marker stairs test with Heiner, Patric, and I. I began processing right away. Once I finish with the processing, I then transfer all of the data to another computer with MatLab, where I create Excel sheets which can be accessed in MatLab. Once the Excel sheets are created, we can look at different graphs and plotting of the data which allows us to analyze the results. The results were good. Successful day at the lab. After work I rushed to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies for coffee break tomorrow. I thought it would be a good going away treat. At 6:00pm I meet Heiner, Patric, and a couple of there colleagues back at the lab. We went out for some beers. First we stopped at a brewery. Not much of a beer drinker, plus I thought I might have to pace a 10k for Joel so I only got a "special" coffee. Around 8:20pm we left in search of a good place for food. We ended up at a British pub known to have the "Best Burgers in Bern." They were tasty. Since it was now getting later and pacing Joel was no longer possible I decided to get a "special" cider. Talked, laughed, and had a blast until about 10:50pm when we called it a night.

The brewery was right next to the bear park. In the past the building was used to store trams.

Tuesday...

Final day in Bern. Bittersweet. I love this city. I could most definitely stay longer! However, I am very excited to see my family and friends tomorrow. Tomorrow. Wow, I cannot believe that two months have flown by this fast. I have made such close friends and it seems like I have known them for so much longer than only two months.

I went to the lab at 8:00 for our weekly meeting. We discussed the work we did yesterday and the schedule for the next couple of weeks. Once they started talking about things beyond today, I started to realize this is it. I couldn't stop from feeling sad. I will miss Switzerland. Once the meeting finished, there wasn't anymore work for me to do. We had our coffee break and gave the guys the cookies I made last night. They turned out pretty well. I microwaved them to make them a little warm and gooey. I printed out my plane ticket and talked with Patric until noon rolled around, which is when we get ready for our Tuesday run. Heiner, Patric, and I did a loop through the forest that lasted about an hour. I was really glad Heiner was able to join us this week as he has had trouble with his Achilles tendon. We got back around 13:30. Joel was meeting me at the lab at 14:00 so we could get ice cream at Sattler cafe. This meant I only had 30 more minutes at the lab. We all said our goodbyes. Heiner gave me a gift. And I walked out the lab for the last time. I have a feeling this will not be the last time I see Heiner and Patric though. At Sattler Cafe I got a free ice cream cone because the cone broke. I told the server that she could just put it in a cup and then handed her the money. She said "No, no. It's free." I offered to pay again and she kindly refused. I love businesses like this. Joel and I walked back to Tscharnergut. We decided to make a big pasta dinner with the food we still have left. I went to Coop one last time to get some vegetables.

I made the pasta and Joel made the feta bread from scratch. Delicious.

After dinner, we wanted to swim in the Aare one last time, but not at the Marzili. We invited Elfi (our friend that lives on our floor) after seeing her in the kitchen. We ran through the woods to a trail that leads down to the river. Dropped off our shoes and shirts and walked up stream about a kilometer for a good place to get in. At first it was a little bit sketchy and Joel was questioning if it was that smart of an idea but then we got to a wooden bridge that had a perfect spot to get into the water.


On the way to the River. These are the trails that I always run on in the forest.

The two tiny specks under the bridge are Joel and I. Thanks Elfi for taking the picture!

Best guy from Sweden.

Joel, Elfi, and I

What a way to finish my stay in Switzerland. Great times. Now I am just about fully packed. Only need to zip up my suitcases and drop off my keys tomorrow. I will be catching the 6:02 train from Bern to Zurich and will arrive around 7:30. My flight departs at 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment