Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 39 & 40: Keeps getting better

Monday
I went to work at 8:30. Not too much went on today. Patric arrived at the lab at 1:30. We analyzed some graphs and then went up to his office and went over a previous project he did last year. Went shopping at Aldi after I got out. Made a meal inspired by my Germany trip: currywurst with bread you actually have to slice yourself (old school). I went for a run in the woods. Saw a deer. Just the second deer I have seen in the forest since I have been here. Saw more animals on my hike in Scuol than my entire time in Bern. Makes sense though because the hike was on a Swiss National Park. That concludes Monday.

Tuesday
As you can obviously see from the picture below I had a delay at the train station this morning on my way to the lab.

Translates to "the train has been cancelled."

Everyone had to get off from the train for a replacement train. It didn't arrive until 8:28. I was like this sucks but at least it isn't worse. It got worse. A guy came on the train and told everyone to get back off. He was speaking in German the entire time so I don't know what he was saying but everyone got off and started walking in the same direction. I followed. I ended up at a transit stop. Had to wait 7min for the next transit to Bern Bahnhof. Didn't get to the lab until after 9:00. So much for making the 8:00 meeting. I always thought of Swiss public transportation as the best, superior to all else. not anymore. When I was on the public transit it was so packed that I had to get off and back on at the stops to let people get through the door. One time I asked if a woman with a little boy needed to get off. She started talking to me in German and I didn't respond fast enough with, "Sorry only English." She said a lot of stuff and I just nodded and gave an agreeing sound. She talked some more and I acted like I understood and shook my head up and down again. Situation averted. Today was a great day at the lab. Finally got away from the computers and desk work. We had to move the stairs in the picture below across the lab into the view of the 3D kinematics system. Then we built a staircase in the place where the other one was because another researcher will be doing a test with stairs around the same time. We set up the force plates on the stairs (that's what the tower is for that Heiner is working on). Heiner has been soldering the last week, connecting the force plates in the floor to an EMG. We actually had the stairs placed on the force plates in the floor with the force plates on the steps above. Force plates on force plates connected to an EMG. High tech stuff. We'll only being using the ones on the stairs. Anyways...Heiner and I were standing by the tower and it just about blew up in our faces. Not literally but there was a small flame that shot out and some smoke. A short in one of the electronic chipboards caused the spark. We looked into it and everything appeared to be fine. Let everything cool down for a bit. Patric made another ground wire. We turned it back on and it worked perfectly. We also ran a some trials on the stairs. Ursina had the 5marker model on her foot and walked up and down the stairs. 


I watched a futbol game for the first time in Europe. It was at the track I workout on. Neufeld Stadium. BSC Young Boys vs. FC Winterthur. The Young Boys are the Bern team. Ended in a draw. 1-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment