Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 54, 55, 56: Food and Friends

Tuesday...

Everything has been going good at the lab. Progressing day by day with the study. We returned to our weekly Tuesday meeting at 8am this week. Heiner was impressed with all of the work Patric and I had accomplished. Especially with the updated GUI (MatLab term) Patric developed. My side of work such as the processing is becoming easier and easier with the advances Patric has been making. Good news for me. After work, Heiner, Patric, Vera, and me went to an ice cream shop. Heiner passes it everyday to and from work and always notices a long line, but has never been to it. He thought it would be a good idea to see what the buzz is about. And boy am I glad we did as I'm sure everyone knows I love ice cream.

Caffè Bar Sattler. This place has the best gelato in Bern. The owners go to Italy for recipe ideas and certain ingredients. Not too bad of prices either for Switzerland. I got a cone with 3 scoops (chocolate, nutella, and coffee). Delicious.

Wednesday...

Tscharnergut. Home away from home. Taken on my way into work.

A physiotherapist was at the lab today. I have talked about him before. He has just started a study to try to prove that his therapeutic shoes do in fact lead to gains in health. He had 15 or more patients come in and do the same procedure I did for him two weeks ago (I was the very first subject). While he was doing research on one side of the lab, Patric and I were also doing research on the other. We took measurements with the Vicon system. We set up stairs with the force plates. First we did the lower body model. I had to measure and place 15 markers on Patric starting at the anterior superior iliac spine going down to his feet. The lower body model is used to compute joint angles. Once finished, we moved on to our normal 4 marker foot model. Again he walked down stairs with the force plates. After work, Heiner, Patric and I rode our bikes (Vera is now letting me borrow hers) down to the Aare. Heiner has been working in Bern for two years, and Patric one, yet neither of them have swam in the Aare. Patric swam in it at his home town but the current isn't as fast there because it is a ways downstream. We walked to the bridge that I regularly jump from. To time our leap together we counted, "1, 2, 3! WOOO!" and splashed into the rushing water. They loved it. Heiner joked that it took until an American got here to get him to jump into the Aare. Once we dried off, we rode to Patric's place (about 7km away) where Vera was making dinner. She has a cousin that lives in Italy who has taught her some recipes so our dinner was Italian themed. We had wine, salad, 4 different kinds of pizza, all
followed by coffee and tiramisu for dessert. Simply delicious. The food and the friends made it a night I will always remember.

Thursday...

Highlight of the day- For lunch at work Patric shared leftovers with me from our dinner last night. When work was over I went to Denner and bought coconut Lindt chocolate. Everyday this last week I am trying to buy a new kind of chocolate I have never tried. I had pasta for dinner and then went for a nice run.

No comments:

Post a Comment