Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 42, 43, 44, & 45: Slow down time

Thursday

It was Ursina's last day at the lab. She was an intern that I did a lot of work with. Exciting time for her as she is searching for a job as a physiotherapist. Good luck!

Friday

I worked with Heiner at the lab. A masters student came in to start his new study. The lab had a machine made for them to basically test ACL and hamstring responsiveness and strength. You put a strap on your lower leg (just below your knee) and attach a wire to the front of it. The wire goes over a pulley and then is connected to a platform at a bottom of a pole that is hanging in the air. At the top of the pole is an electromagnet. A weight is attached to the electromagnet. When a button on a remote is pressed, the electromagnet shuts off, releasing the weight which slams into the platform causing a force that pulls the wire and thus the strap on your leg. Scientific. We all tested out the machine and none of our shin bones were ripped out of our legs so the study was a success. Today was just the first day where they wanted to test everything out. Heiner and I had some good chats. I gave him a tour of the University of Michigan and Chesaning on Google Maps. Today was his last day until the 22nd. He has a week holiday (vacation) so he left his bike for me to use. He's going to southern France. The rest of the day was good. I ran, played ping pong with Joel. The ping pong table is on the 20th floor of Tscharnergut. Great view of the Alps from up there. After ping pong we watched Without Limits. Joel likes to run and although he has heard of Steve Prefontaine, never saw the movie so I had to show him.


Saturday

I could have went on a hiking trip with some friends who live on my floor but I decided I should spend the weekend in Bern. I have been traveling so much that I haven't really seen all that the city has to offer. Since I have Heiner's bike I decided to ride around Bern. I went to the Paul Klee Center. It is a modern art museum. Unfortunately, it was closed. Fortunately, it was a sunny day and the museum had art pieces outside.

The front of the Paul Klee Center


On a trail behind the Paul Klee Center. I think the building itself is suppose to be an art piece. It's built right into the hill.

After I rode around the museum, I headed to the rose garden. Really cool place.

View from the rose garden. Best view of Old Bern. When the Swiss built Bern it looks like they made an oath before they started building: Do not cut down a single tree unless you absolutely have to. This idea has lead to a beautiful coexistence of nature and man. The contrast between the brown roofs of the buildings, green leaves of the trees, and illuminating blue glacier water of the Aare River is breathtaking (Picture doesn't justify). I stayed here until sunset.

When I walked in the rose garden I saw some posters saying "SwanLake." The posters said it was starting at 8:45pm on July 13. I figured since I was there I might as well stay around and see what's going on. A little after 9:00 the show started. Ended up being a performance in the fountain. It was like the Black Swan. The picture is of the cast at the end of the show.

Sunday

Caught up on sleep this weekend. I went for a run around 1:00 and got back to my room at about 5:00. I did a big loop through the forest and ended up at Neufeld. Ran through town until I got to the Aare. Then ran along the river on a nice dirt path until I got to the bear park. I was at an hour and a half. Watched the bears for awhile. They had just been given watermelons and it was hot out so they were playing with their watermelons in the river (the park is on a hill next to the river). It was awesome. One of the bears was practically swimming right underneath of me. After the bear park I headed to Marzili (the public pool park). On the way I saw a gate was open to a cinder track I have been wanting to run on. I did a few laps. It was a 300m track. I got to the Marzili and dropped off my shoes, watch, and hat and started walking upstream to where a bridge is that everyone jumps from. Joel and I had already done it before. The 62.7 degree water felt...brisk. definition:
 
Active, fast, and energetic.
Cold but fresh and enlivening.

Perfect word to describe the Aare because the current is so fast. It is about a mile swim back to Marzili but it doesn't take long at all. I laid in the park, soaking up the rays until I was pretty much dry and then headed back to Tscharnergut. Most enjoyment I have gotten out of a 2 hour run.

No comments:

Post a Comment