Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 33 & 34: Half way point

Tuesday was a great day.
I went into the lab ready to work. Today was a test day where we put on the markers and walk over the force plates while being video taped by the 3D kinematic system. In weeks past we would run the test on everyone in the lab (6 subjects) on Tuesday. Process the data all day Wednesday. Use Matlab to extract the data we need on Thursday. And finally make box plots of the data to gain a full understanding of our results from the test day on Friday. Now we are much more efficient. Tuesday we tested everyone and processed all of the data. We completed this all in half of a day. The rest of the day Heiner, Ursina and I talked about my Germany trip and other random topics. I enjoy talking with the people here more than anything. I have come to a conclusion about my internship... Although it is important that I learn lab techniques and increase by knowledge of physiotherapy, the one thing that I will learn the most from  my time here is my experiences with the people. I am now at the one month mark of my stay and I have learned so much from talking with the friends I have made in Fellergut and Tscharnergut and listening to stories from Heiner, Patric, and Ursina at work. Another thing that made today great was this:
Denner stocked their shelves with new peanut butter! 

The first time I have seen creamy peanut butter in Switzerland. Of course the jar has an American flag on it. Maybe they brought in a new shipment because the 4th of July is this week. And on that note I am sad I will be missing 4th of July in my home country for the first time in my life...I need to blow something up or grill a hamburger or go tubing on a lake! the Swiss national day is August 1st. I'm leaving July 31st but I am currently trying to find a way to push my flight back a day. There was another farewell party tonight. Susan, an Australian who is the best cook I have met, and Eolo, or as I call him, "the Swiss party animal," both are leaving Wednesday. I am going to miss them.

Wednesday.
Another great day at the lab. We finished the rest of our work today. The box plots look great! The extra 2 cameras have definitely improved our results. Once we looked over the box plots and went back to planning my next few days. The PhD student I work with has invited me to stay with him and his girlfriend in a cabin he has rented for the week in Scuol. I will leave Thursday at 6:00am. My first stop will be to Luzern, a beautiful city on a lake, where I will go for a run. I should have some good pictures from a track I found on google maps. After staying for 5 hours, I'll head to Zurich. I'll tour around the city for 5 hours and then head to Scuol where I will be meeting Patric at the train station. Friday will be full of hiking. Type "St. Moritz" in on google and go to images. It's worth it. Saturday I will be returning to Bern, but not before stopping to Zermatt, which is one of Switzerland's most famous destinations. It is for good reason with a beautiful view of Matterhorn, a glacier palace, and skiing year round. I cannot wait. It is going to be another busy weekend but at least I will have Sunday to recover this time. I still do not feel totally recharged from my trip to Germany last weekend. Here's what I made for dinner tonight.
I use the same plate every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment